A retired resident, who was assisting firefighters during a veld fire in the Dinokeng nature reserve, sustained severe burns after his bakkie caught fire.
The fire broke out on Thursday afternoon.
It was caused by sparks from a grinder, according to Sinoville Firefighters Association (SBBV) spokesperson Zenobia Loock-Du Plessis.
“The help of the retired resident was called in because he had a bakkie with a water tank,” she said.
She said while fighting the fire the engine, which pumps water from the tank, stopped working.
“The resident tried to get out of the bakkie, but the wind turned and the flames enveloped the vehicle,” said Loock-Du Plessis.
“One of the firefighters saw what was happening and helped the resident out of the vehicle.”
She said the resident sustained serious burns and a helicopter was called in to take him to the nearest hospital.
Loock-Du Plessis said firefighters continued to fight the fire into Thursday evening.
The SBBV, a non-profit organisation, offers training to the public on fighting fires.
They wished the resident a speedy recovery.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: