Victim’s family laments another delay in north ANC councillor rape case

Rape accused, Councillor Emmanuel Sipho Maselane

A rape case against an ANC councillor in Soshanguve has been postponed yet again.

On Monday both the state and defence asked the judge for a postponement of Sipho Emmanuel Maselane’s (34) case to 30 November.

The case has been on the high court roll for over two years now.

These delays in the case have taken a toll, a victim’s family member said.

Police spokesperson Herman Moremi confirmed the new date for the hearing.

ALSO READ: Rape case against ANC councillor postponed

He said the defence would then call its witnesses.

The ward councillor is accused of robbing and raping two women and two girls in various locations around Soshanguve.

Moremi said the trial, which began in December last year, had been postponed numerous times because the accused had failed to show up due to “ill-health”.

Maselane was charged with four counts of rape, armed robbery and one of assault after being arrested in 2015 by Loate police.

ALSO READ: ANC and DA women unite behind minor rape victim

His alleged rape victims were 30, 37 and 14 years old. He is out on R2 000 bail.

“Maselane is accused of giving the victims lifts at night and taking them to an open veld to assault and rape them,” said Moremi.

Tshwane ANC spokesperson Teboho Joala said the party would only comment after the final judgment.

 

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

 

  AUTHOR
David Matsena

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Easy route for criminals blocked in the north