Hospital denies turning metro man away

Prince Mona in his hospital bed. Photo: David Matsena

Montana hospital has denied turning away a metro worker recently hurt when an electric box exploded.

“A doctor promptly started treating him,” the hospital’s acting general manager Daan Slabbert said on Friday.

Prince Mona (48) suffered burn wounds when an electricity box exploded as he tried to open it in Doornpoort in the north of Pretoria last Sunday.

ALSO READ: Burnt electrician speaks from hospital bed

He told Rekord from his hospital bed on Wednesday that he was turned away by Montana hospital.

Her said management told him the hospital did not accept patients with injuries sustained on duty.

Slabbert said : “He was brought by a co-worker to Netcare Montana Hospital’s emergency department and a doctor promptly started treating him.”

The decision to remove Mona from the hospital was taken by his employer, said Slabbert.

The employers insisted that he be taken to another hospital, which was a designated service provider for the Tshwane metro.

“The employer signed the relevant documentation confirming voluntary refusal of further hospital treatment at Netcare Montana hospital,” said Slabbert.

“Thereafter he was removed and transported to another hospital in a vehicle belonging to the City of Tshwane”.

Explaining what happened the day he got injured, Mona said he and a co-worker were called out to a job where a family had reported that they could not load electricity on their pre-paid meter.

“We found no fault on their meter box, we decided to check the meter box in the street which is a few blocks away,” he said.

“When we got there, the box seemed half opened. When I tried to open it to check what was wrong, it exploded.”

Mona was badly injured.

ALSO READ: Manhunt for north hospital robber

“I sustained serious burn wounds to both hands, my neck, my right leg and on my abdomen,” he said.

Mona said the co-worker helped him to Montana hospital.

He said after Montana hospital turned him away, he was taken to Eugene Marais hospital by a Tshwane metro vehicle.

“They told me the same thing, but treated my hand, arranged an ambulance and transported me to Akasia hospital,” he said.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram


David Matsena

Latest News


Next Story x
NEWSFLASH: Police officer critical in Hammanskraal shooting