Tshwane metro sticks to waste collection schedule despite disruptions

The service providers were told to park their trucks and threatened with violence if they continued with waste collection. Photo: COT/Facebook

Tshwane metro has strongly condemned the interruption waste collection services in region 1.

A group under the banner of “Business Forum” have blocked access to landfill sites preventing waste collection trucks from emptying their trucks demanding its members also be contracted to remove waste.

The metro recently warned residents in Mabopane, Winterveldt and Ga-Rankuwa (Mawiga) of the disruption.

“The disruption, which has been contained, comes as a result of a protest action by a clique that demands to be contracted to collect waste in parts of region 1,” the metro said in a statement.

ALSO READ: UPDATE VIDEO: Group disrupting waste collection services to be dealt with

The metro said on Monday, 4 September, the clique had disrupted the service by stopping trucks which had already started collecting waste in various parts of the region.

The service providers were told to park their trucks and were threatened with violence if their trucks continued to service the area.

“To carry out the city’s responsibility of ensuring that our community surroundings are clean, Tshwane metro police have been directed to escort the waste collection trucks to Mawiga and other areas.”

The metro said waste collection was now under control and proceeding relatively well, and appealed to residents to “shun those that are hellbent on obstructing us from discharging our mandate of providing waste collection in those affected areas”.

The metro said the same group had tried to force its way into Tshwane House, municipal headquarters’ basement, but were prevented by the police.

ALSO READ: TRAFFIC ALERT: Dumping on Rosslyn Road

“They also dumped rubbish along Onderstepoort Road in Rosslyn. This too is to be condemned in the strongest possible terms.”

The metro said in the past few months there had been a series of waste collection disruptions and trashing of the city.

“On Monday, 4 September, the clique disrupted service by preventing trucks from collecting waste in various parts of the Region and threatened service providers with violence if they continued servicing the area.

Law enforcement services have been activated to escort waste trucks in order to ensure the continuation of service. We wish to reiterate that this administration is committed to serving the people of Pretoria and will endeavour to meet the standing waste collection schedule in all our regions.

The actions by the group are illegal and will be dealt with in terms of the rule of law.”

 

 

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

 

 

  AUTHOR
David Matsena

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Recommended Story x
Tshwane metro launches investor portal