UPDATE VIDEO: Group disrupting waste collection services to be dealt with

Photo: Capture

A group under the banner of the so called “Business Forum” is said to be disrupting waste collection services.

Its actions have been condemned by the Tshwane metro after it allegedly blocked access to landfill sites across Pretoria.
MMC for agriculture and environment, Mike Mkhari said in a statement the group demanded to be part of contracted companies for waste collection in Region 1 and so it disrupted services.

Mkhari said he was aware that some parts of the city were trashed on Friday by the group whose objective was to interrupt services to the people.

“The same group tried to force its way into Tshwane House municipal headquarters’ basement. It also dumped rubbish along Onderstepoort Road in Rosslyn. This too is to be condemned in the strongest possible terms. Breaching of office buildings is not the way to be heard and constitutes a criminal offense. As such law enforcement has successfully removed these individuals from the building,” said Mkhari.

He said for the past few months, there had been a series of waste collection disruptions and trashing of the city.

ALSO READ: TRAFFIC ALERT: Dumping on Rosslyn Road

“This group also blocked access to landfill sites across Tshwane. On Monday, 4 September, the clique in question disrupted the service by stopping trucks which had already started collecting waste in various parts of the Region. The service providers were told to go and park their trucks and were threatened with violence if their trucks continued with the collection,” he said.

He said law enforcement services had been activated to escort waste trucks to Region 1 and other areas in order to ensure the continuation of collection and disposal of waste.

“We wish to reiterate that this administration is committed to serving the people of Tshwane and will endeavour to meet the standing waste collection schedule at all our regions. The actions by the group are illegal and will be dealt with in terms of the rule of law,” said Mkhari.
Video footage, captured by a motorist, shows the waste being dumped.

Watch here:

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

  AUTHOR
Felicia Nkhwashu

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
WATCH: KFC Montana attack caught on video